Sunday, September 27, 2009

Political ideology

Doesn't it seem to you that some people have to filter everything through their political ideology? Everyone has a mental map and narratives that guide their thoughts and feelings, but some people seem to be defined by whether they are on the right or the left. I've learned some things from talking to them, but they never seem to change their mind about anything. I sometimes am interested what crazy things they are saying on Fox News. But not often. It is just hateful shouting. However, I do find some discussions by conservatives interesting. Like Megan McArdle at the Altantic Monthly or some CATO policy papers. Likewise, I cannot really relate to those on the left who think capitalism is evil. Many of their conspiracy narratives are ridiculous. So I have my own sort of ideology in a sense. I want to be open to ideas and facts that will help me better understand. I will try to keep the political ideology out of discussions but inevitably some opinions will be colored by the political world we live in. After all, I live in the rabid right-wing state of Utah. So anyway, I hope you tune in once in awhile and share information or views. Or just e-mail me with good stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment