Monday, October 26, 2009

Continuation Day

I am having a fine anniversary of birthday, or as one of my buddhist friends says, continuation day. Tita took me out for dinner last night at a terrific restaurant www.log-haven.com and has something going in the crockpot while she is at work. I had curried pecan cauliflower soup and bison rib-eye steak. We have a snowstorm coming in early tomorrow so I got all the deck furniture stored in the garage yesterday. I couldn't stand watching the end of the Bears game they were so bad so I decided to accomplish something outside instead. Saturday we got in some golf but quit after nine holes after we got hailed on. Don't know how many days we have left of golf. One nice thing about this time of year is that Tita really gets into cooking. She has already planned what we are having Tuesday!! This is a new first in planning ahead meals. Usually we just go with the flow day by day (one of the traits I did not pick up from my dad). But she loves to cook and I love to eat...a win-win situation. Every time I buy her a new cookbook I get rewarded many times over. She says that when she retires she is going to become a gourmet chef and take classes. I don't think that this is just a means to get out of working anymore but you never know. Luckily, she also likes her job.

I have decided that I am going to be even lazier than usual today. My boss says I have to go in for a few minutes this afternoon but I don't have much to do (other than a brief that isn't due for four weeks). I might even go out and use the raincheck (or hailcheck) to finish my round of golf. Tom and I were chatting so much that I didn't bother to keep score, but then I know I didn't really do well enough for it to matter, so I didn't go back and figure it out.

I have been wasting an inordinate amount of time trolling the internet and now have a bunch of blogs I read. I really am going to start reading books again and even finished one on the misuse and abuse of history that I mentioned here earlier. I am actually reading a philosophy book called Justice by Michael Sandel, a famous philosopher. It is very clearly written and so far takes me through some of my own adventures in ethics and political philosophy. Also have a book called The Good Soldiers about the lives of a unit in Iraq that has gotten great reviews. Of course, I have many other unread books lying around, too.

We had a wonderful time in San Francisco and I learned some more very good stuff on VA law and ERISA. Looking forward to helping vets but not so much dealing more with insurance companies. We had incredible dinners every night and hung out for two days with my old friends Vern and Jennifer K. Pesces, Campton Place and R & C Lounge in Chinatown stand out. They had a car so we took a drive to Muir Woods north of the city on Saturday missing the turnoff and taking a scenic drive down highway one before we figured out we were lost after ending up in a hippie village called Bolinas. Luckily, we were able to find a gas station and then found Muir Woods where we did a great hike amongst the 250 foot redwoods and other beautiful plantlife.

Every day is a coninuation day so if you want to goof off, go ahead. You are adults and don't need permission.

No comments:

Post a Comment