Saturday, April 24, 2010

Mr Grumpus

Feeling a little grumpy today. I think it has something to do with the book I am loving now (Econned), which paints a very realistic but hideous picture of Wall Street. I'm quite sure my brain was ruminating on it while I slept. It is probably time for a hike and it is a beautiful day following three very crappy days, including snow yesterday. Tita is working part of the day so I am going to laze around here until she gets home to hike. The Blackhawks game, which is very important with the series tied at 2-2 in on today at 1, but I can't stand to watch tv during the day, especially a nice day, so I am going to tape it and watch later.

Fred the cat was just squawking at me so I gave him some attention and now he is a happy boy, but I anticipate that he will be walking in front of the computer monitor soon. He also loves to sit on something you are reading. They are such little narcissists that they are cute; it's all about them. Reminds me of big bankers and politicians. One good note, however. Robert Khuzami, the new head prosecutor of the enforcement division of the SEC, is apparently a fearless smart guy who has taken on the mob and terrorists despite threats to his family. My fantasy of the lawyer who can't be bought bringing some justice to the world warms the spirit but I will probably be disappointed. We know Goldman Sacks won't go to trial. Too much dirt would come out. I hope the SEC does not settle with them, however. Make them pay the fine and then lets see if we have some criminal proceedings in the works. All the people who have lost their jobs or portions of their retirement savings because of those jerks might get some small satisfaction.

A quote from my new book: "history is the long and tragic story of the fact that privileged groups seldom give up their privileges voluntarily." Do you know who said that? Or here is another one a blogger wrote about Wall Street: "if they were half as smart as they think they are, they would be 10 times as smart as they are."

A bold prediction for the upcoming week of political theatre. The parties will be loudly bickering with each other but eventually will come up with a bipartisan compromise on a watered-down version of the Dodd bill, which will do some good, but which is already hopelessly too weak. The bankers will go home happy and ready to blow up the economy again and the politicians will continued to be hated by everybody.

Addendum April 27: the author of first quote was Martin Luther King.

No comments:

Post a Comment